If you haven’t needed to already, there’s a good chance you will soon be starting up your air conditioner. But, before you flip the switch, take note of the following seasonal reminders and simple air conditioner maintenance tips to ensure your household cooling system is in the best condition for the season.
Seasonal Air Conditioner Maintenance Tips:
- Remove that Cover: Be sure to remove the winter cover from your air conditioner before turning it on. If you forget and it starts running while the cover is still on, you could ruin your compressor. In the worst cases, this can mean you will be calling an HVAC technician for a new air conditioner installation instead of just seasonal maintenance!
- Drain the A/C Line: Check the line that runs to your air conditioner and make sure it’s free of debris. Operating the system when the line is clogged will not only mean that it runs a lot less efficiently, but it could cause damage.
- Check the Battery in Your Thermostat: Get into the habit of changing the battery in your thermostat at the start of every cooling season. That way you won’t have to worry about your air conditioner running needlessly.
- Change the Filter in Your Furnace: Because the air conditioner uses the furnace fan to distribute the cold air throughout the house, you will want to ensure you’re starting off the season with a clean filter. Otherwise, you could end up with a block of ice on the indoor coil that’s above the furnace.
- Check Vents & Ductwork: Make sure that the vents in rooms you wish to cool are open and that the ductwork is in-tact. If you want to reduce your cooling bills, close the vents to rooms that don’t require cooling. If any seams in your ductwork need to be resealed, now is a good time to have it done.
- Hire HVAC Professionals for Air Conditioner Maintenance: Just like it’s a great idea to hire a professional to tune-up and inspect your furnace each fall, it’s a great idea to call in the experts and to have them perform some seasonal air conditioner maintenance for you, each spring or summer. They know what your system needs to run efficiently and can help you identify any potential problems with your system before they turn into costly repairs.
If you’re currently looking for HVAC specialists for an air conditioner installation or would like to learn more about the maintenance that can be performed to keep your air conditioner running well for years to come, get in touch with us: (306) 343-9576.