In the dead of winter, there are few things worse than a broken furnace. Saskatoon homeowners who are looking to avoid this major inconvenience should make note of the tips in today’s post. Being aware of the warning signs and performing regular furnace maintenance can save you a great deal of money and hassle.
In most cases, there will be signs that a furnace isn’t functioning properly, well before it stops working. The problem is that many homeowners don’t know what these symptoms are and so the problem goes undetected until there isn’t any heat.
Common Warning Signs:
- frequent cycling
- failure to reach the set temperature
- strange noises when the furnace is running
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important that you call HVAC specialists, like the team here, at Gibbon Heating and Air Conditioning, as soon as possible. By catching a problem early on, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to avoid much more costly repair bills.
Preventing Bigger Problems:
While older furnaces can be more susceptible to breaking down, there are some things you can do to minimize the risk of your heating system failing in the middle of the night.
- make sure there is nothing blocking your cold air return vents
- vacuum your registers occasionally and consider having your air ducts cleaned
- change your furnace filter regularly and have an HVAC specialist perform a yearly inspection
- check for drafts around doors and windows and improve your insulation, where necessary. This can help ensure your furnace isn’t working overtime to keep the house warm
If you suspect there’s a problem with your furnace, give us a call. We’ll send out one of our specialists to inspect your heating system and to perform the furnace maintenance or repairs you need to avoid a system failure.